Consumer behavior is one of the most researched areas in tourism. This studies why a tourist chooses a particular destination and what are the driving factors that influence his decision for travelling.
Factors Affecting Tourist Behavior :-
– Geographical Factors − Some physical factors like geographical and climatic conditions, facilities and amenities available at the destination, advertising and marketing conducted by tourism business.
– Social Factors − A few social factors such as a person’s social network, which provide first had information that can alter a person’s decision
– Place of Origin − There can be a broad spectrum of tourist behavior depending upon the place they belong to.
– Tourism Destination − It is a major contributing factor altering tourist behavior. If a destination has all basic provisions such as electricity, water, clean surroundings, proper accessibility, amenities, and has its own significance, it largely attracts tourists.
The Five A’s:-
The following five A’s define the tourist needs and demands −
It is the ability to reach to a place of destination by opting one or multiple means of transportation.
It is a place where the tourists can avail food and shelter on payment.
It is a place of interest where tourists visit, typically for its inherent or exhibited, natural or cultural value, historical significance, or natural or artificial beauty.
New consumer trends in tourism are as follows:-
– Consumers are more aware of their needs
Thanks to the possibilities offered by the internet to tourism consumers, they feel more free to look for information. The traveler is becoming more informed, more empowered, and able to organize their trip independently.
– Sustainable holidays:-
In a world more aware of sustainability issues, the traveler is increasingly being involved in seeking options that reduce the negative impact on the environment.
– Looking for a personal challenge:-
Other of the trends in travelers is their searching for experiences which can transform them, that could help them in their personal growth.
– Consumers and technology:-
So far, you can imagine the latest technologies have had a great impact on the tourism sector. Especially in the phase prior to the purchase process.
Tourism drives economic prosperity and sustained development in many regions around the world.
Major Factors Influencing Consumer Behavior:-
– Psychological Factors:-
Human psychology is a major determinant of consumer behavior. These factors are difficult to measure but are powerful enough to influence a buying decision.
– Social Factors:-
Humans are social beings and they live around many people who influence their buying behavior.
– Economic Factors:-
The consumer buying habits and decisions greatly depend on the economic situation of a country or a market.
Consumer behavior analysis has emerged as an important tool to understand your customers. By looking into consumer psychology and the forces behind customer buying behavior ,companies can craft new products, marketing campaigns and increase profitability.
Companies should talk to consumers, watch out for frustrations, and most importantly, identify their needs and expectations.