SKILLS TO BECOME A GOOD JOURNALIST : Journalism is the profession of collecting, writing, and publishing news stories and articles in newspapers and magazines or broadcasting them on the radio and television. Journalism is the production and distribution of reports on current events based on facts and supported with proof or evidence. …
Journalistic media include print, television, radio, Internet, and in the past, newsreels. Bond F. Fraser: According to him “The term journalism embraces all the forms in which and through which the news and the comments on the news reach the public. All that happens in the world, if such happenings hold interest for the public and all the thought, action and ideas which these happenings stimulate become the basic material for the journalist.” Journalist is someone who collects and writes news stories and articles for newspapers, magazines, radio, and also a person engaged in journalism especially in a writing or editing for a news medium , a writer who aims at a mass audience, a person who keeps a journal. Skills to become a good journalist
1. knowledge of journalism:- a good journalist should have a knowledge about journalism .Journalism Ethics and standards are principles of truthfulness, accuracy, objectivity, impartiality, fairness, and public accountability and good practice as these apply to the acquisition of newsworthy information and its subsequent dissemination to the public.
2. Research skills in Journalism:- Research in media focuses on the communication process and examines the relationships among the media organizations and the target audience. Media research focus is on the social and psychological aspects and effects of the different mass media.
3. Communication skill in journalism:-Communication is very important to journalist. It involves in the process of Encoding , Sending message , Receiving and Decoding them the process by which creating sending recreating and analytical message to large audience via verbal and written media.
4. Writing skills:-Journalistic writing is the style of writing used to report news stories in newspapers, television broadcasts, on radio and on the Internet. Unlike other styles of writing, which can be flexible and casual, the characteristics of journalistic
writing are pretty easy to spot. For instance, if you opened a book to a chapter and set it next to a newspaper article, you’d probably notice that, unlike the book, the article is written in short sentences and paragraphs and quickly gets to the point.
5. Grasping power:- The ability of a journalist to learn on the job, absorb lots of new information and process it in a way that it is disseminated properly is of paramount importance.
6. Ethics of journalism:– Journalism Ethics is not only drive values and inculcate a culture of not twisting facts for one’s
benefit, but also build trust among the viewers
7. News Gathering:-Newsgathering or documentation, as it is otherwise known in the media, is a specific activity, especially
at the beginning of the communication process. Data collection can be carried out throughout the exchange of information.
Virtual communication facilitates interaction and interactivity.
Courage and honesty:- Your job is to get underneath those tough questions and find out every detail of a story so you can share with the public or expose the truth. As a journalist, you need to be bold and ready to take risks for the sake of a good story.
Honesty: Your job is to share the truth and nothing but the truth. The general public counts on you to inform them of events as they happen.
8. Trustworthy and punctuality :-Being a Journalist is all about building relationships and being part of an ever-expanding community. You need to demonstrate that you are trusted with important tasks and information.
Punctuality:- Punctuality not only benefits your reputation as a court reporter, it also benefits all parties involved in a job. It is the respectful thing to do as all people have busy and varied schedules. Taking extra precautions to arrive on time will help your jobs start as scheduled and you will be making a professional impression.
9. Problem solving:– The capacity to deal with day-to-day problems or challenges at work, in the field or during a live show or panel discussion is the hallmark of a great broadcast journalist. It is essential that you develop the ability to think on your feet and find the best possible solution to any issue that might crop up during work.
10.Analytic Mind:- Analytic mind of journalists that seeks to make sense of complex reality in order to create public understanding. It combines aspects of investigative journalism and explanatory reporting.
Jennifer (Internship Trainee)